We’re always a little sad to see summer draw to a close. The end of summer means saying goodbye to long, sunny days, weekends on the water, and the perfect excuse to eat ice cream after every meal. But it does come with one major money perk: the end-of-summer sale!
Keeping an eye on your calendar is one of the best ways to save money, since so much merchandise is seasonal. This is always obvious after a major holiday — think deep discounts on Halloween decorations in November or clearance holiday ornaments in January. But it’s also true of the seasons in general. As the weather changes, retailers need to make room for the new season’s products — and that usually means slashing prices to get rid of everything left over from the previous season.
Hot deals going fast
What items should you be on the lookout for during an end-of-summer sale? During these end-of-summer sales, you can find some of the best deals on…
- Hot-weather gear like air conditioners, barbecue grills, lawn and garden equipment, and pool toys and accessories
- Summer clothing, including shorts, tanks, bathing suits, and sandals
- Sporting goods, camping supplies, and bicycles
- School supplies and clothing
- Electronics, such as computers, printers, and phones
- Kitchen appliances (retailers will be clearing out existing inventory to make way for this year’s new lines)
- Linens and towels
- Furniture and mattresses (look for big savings around Labor Day)
- Cars and trucks (score deals on last year’s models before the new models debut in the fall)
Find great travel deals
Think end-of-summer sales only apply to retail? Think again! You can also save big on travel, since airlines, hotels, car rental companies, theme parks, and other tourist attractions tend to drop their rates after Labor Day. So, if you’ve been putting off that vacation, the end of summer is a great time to pack your (discounted) luggage! Bonus: booking now means you’ll avoid the crowds associated with peak travel season.
Save more during tax-free holidays
Some states offer tax-free weekends during July or August, during which shoppers can buy items like clothing, shoes, computers, books, and school supplies with no added sales tax. Pay even less for on your summer sale items during tax-free holidays in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. Check your state comptroller’s website for exact dates and to find out which items are included.
Save even more with Ibotta
The only thing we love more than a sale is saving even more on a sale. With Ibotta, you can stretch your savings even further! Simply download the Ibotta app and then start earning cash back in one of three ways:
- If you’re shopping summer sales online or booking end-of-summer travel, visit the Online Shopping section of the Ibotta app to make your purchase and save automatically.
- When you want to hit the sale aisle in person, search for offers in the Ibotta app before you shop and use your linked store loyalty account at checkout or upload your receipts in the Ibotta app afterward to earn cash back.
- Use the new Pay with Ibotta feature to save more on end-of-summer sales at dozens of stores. Connect a debit or credit card to your Ibotta app, shop at a participating retailer, and pay with Ibotta at checkout. You’ll receive instant cash back on a percentage of your purchase.
Now’s the time – find a final summer sale near you and start saving!