Hosting for the holidays? Save yourself time and energy by using this simple checklist. And stretch that hosting budget by starting with Ibotta before you head to the store to save on groceries.
2-3 weeks before
- Get your decorations out.
- Write out your meal plan.
- Contact family and friends to confirm the guest list.
- Purchase your turkey or ham and put it in the freezer (make sure it can fit in the oven).
4-7 days before
- Move turkey or ham from the freezer to the refrigerator to begin defrosting.
- Make a grocery list (check Ibotta for cash back deals), shop for non-perishable items.
- Save a trip to the store by ordering non-perishables online for delivery at Walmart, and more.
- Double check your cooking and bakeware supplies, ask family members to bring anything you don’t have.
- Clean out and rearrange your fridge, making room for all the food to come.
- Come up with fun tasks the kids can do the day-of to help (ex: set the table).
2-3 days before
- Shop for perishable items.
- Set the table with seasonal decorations and place settings.
- Refrigerate beverages.
- Clean the guest bathroom.
1 day before
- Prepare dishes that can be prepped or made ahead of time.
- Vacuum and sweep the house.
- Text or email parking instructions to guests.
- Use Drizly or Instacart app to have last-minute items delivered within an hour.
- If desired, cook and slice the turkey the day before, then let the meat soak in juices overnight, reheat the turkey the day of.
The big day
- Use your meal timeline to guide your cooking.
- Put the turkey or ham in the oven earlier rather than later!
- Light candles and play background music.
- Have family members lend a hand when you’re in need.
Don’t forget – start with Ibotta and earn cash back on groceries.