Ibotta knows weeknight planning can be tough. Keep the chaos in the kitchen to a minimum with this easy weeknight recipe, and sit down to a meal the whole family will love! Mix and match your taco toppings, or use the filling to bake flavorful enchiladas.
Want to add this recipe to your personal collection? Download the recipe card!
Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken Tacos
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 can of black beans or ½ cup of dried black beans
- 1 28-oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1-2 small cans of diced green chilies (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tortillas of your choice
- Toppings of your choice
- Recommended: Cheese, avocado, hot sauce, shredded lettuce, cilantro
- *If you opt for canned beans, skip this step* – Add the raw beans to the slow cooker and pour enough water over the beans to cover them by about 2 inches. For best results, begin cooking the beans on the high setting two hours before adding the chicken and onion.
- Add the canned tomato sauce, sliced onion, and spices to the slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Once combined, place the chicken in the slow cooker. Make sure that it is covered thoroughly with the tomato sauce.
- Cook on the high setting for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is completely cooked through and has reached at least 160 degrees F.
- Shred the chicken using two forks and add it back into the slow cooker. If using canned beans, add them into the mixture and stir to combine. Add the lime juice and green chilies.
- Serve warm with tortillas and desired taco toppings.
Notes: To make enchiladas, top tortillas with 1/4 cup of shredded chicken mixture and 2 tablespoons of cheese. Roll up and place in a 9X13 casserole dish, covering enchiladas with additional tomato sauce and cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Don’t forget — you can get cash back on all of these ingredients with Ibotta. Here’s to making weeknight meals a little easier!